Sweet Petite Apron
This delicate little apron is all girly and is comprised of tiny sweet collectibles.My goal was to create a simple yet darling apron that was perfect for tea and sandwiches with your best girl friends or just for you enjoying a few quiet minutes of rest.
Make a quick trip to your stash of goodies for bits of ribbon and lace.
Material List: - for Sweet Petite
- Apron body-one piece of fabric that is 18.25 x 17.5 inches long
- Hidden waistband-2.75 x 18.25 inches long
- Flower-4.50 x 14 inches long,cut into 1/2 inch wide strips.Choose a lightweight cotton/linen with a nice mix of colors
- Leaf-2 pieces of lightweight green cotton that are 3 inches x 18 inches long
- Pocket-8x8 inch piece of netting material.I used the netting material that is perfect to make laundry bags for our lingerie.
- Trim for pocket top-6 inch long piece of bridal trim,about 1.25-1.50 inches wide
- 18 inch long x 1/2 inch wide trim for apron top
- A few strands of colorful ribbons to accent flower arrangement
- 1.5 yards of 1/2 inch wide colorful cotton tape for waist ties,cut in half to make two ties
- Thread to match
- Optional contrasting thread for leaf topstitching
- A pretty litle button for flower center
Gather all of your materials before you begin,it will make the process alot more fun.
- Cut out two leaf sections,pocket,flower strips.
- Turn in one long edge of your decorative band fabric to the inside 1/4 inch,press real well.
- With right sides together lay the unpressed long edge of your decorative band to the top of your apron edge.
- Sew using a 3/8 inch seam.
- Press seam open.Now turn the whole band to the inside,press down well.Pin and sew along other long edge to finish.
- Turn both sides of apron to inside 1/4 inch,press well, turn in again 1/4 inch, press well and sew close to edge to finish.
- Do the same as above for the hem.
- Attach the trim at top of apron to hide stitching as shown in photo.
- Cut your length of cotton tape in half and attach one end to each apron top corner for your tie(s).
- With right sides together pin leaf sections together,sew using a 3/8 inch seam. LEAVE AN OPENING TO TURN TO THE RIGHT SIDE.Turn to the right side and work out well. Press.Using a decorative topstitch,stitch close to edge with colorful thread.
- Bend leaf in half and splay the leaf, as the one leaf actually makes the two that you see in the photo.Place a few strands of various colored thin ribbons at top of leaf sections. These ribbons will pop out below flower.See pic.
- Gather your strip of flower fabric and twist and wind to make a vintage looking flower,run hidden stitches at backside to secure.
Place at leaf center to hide splay.Use your pretty button at flower center to attach to flower and leaf below.SET ASIDE.
- Cut your 6 inch strip of bridal trim that you have chosen,lay at top of netting as shown.
- Mark edges with tape as I have done in photo.Draw a freeform pocket out of the netting.Cut out.
- Now with a needle and thread attach the bridal trim securely to the pocket top. Carefully cut away excess netting that protrudes above the trim.
- Attach your leaf/flower to pocket center.
Psst,you look amazing!
For gifts consider using parts of a wedding or prom gown,a sort of memory maker.